In the summer of 1865 crop marks were noticed by a Rev Dampier; the fact that they were noticeable from low elevation, the highest point being from the upstairs window of the nearby house, that summer is remarkable. The whole size of the church was measured from these marks. It would appear that test pits were dug in various points as the foundations were noticed as being consistently 5 feet deep. As only foundations were noted it would appear that nothing above foundation level remained. This information formed the basis of a plan drawn up for the 1950's survey 'Coggeshall Abbey and its early brickwork' by J. S. Grainger.